Sunday, March 11, 2012

Do You Subscribe?

I am loving listening to Focus on the Family!  I feel totally rejuvenated in my role as Wife and Mother. 
I do have to say though, that you have to be pretty open-minded when listening to the program as they  tote a fairly conservative and traditional role for women.  For anyone who knows me, this is not something that I am usually known for, so I do find myself enjoying the program but cringing at the level of traditionalism.

The program often talks about a woman's role as serving those around her in whatever capacity is needed...which means that the program DOES NOT say that all women should be in the home and domestic (which is what makes their conservative and traditional views tolerable).  What is a little hard to swallow is that they say a woman's job is to serve her husband and her children EVEN if/when they work out of the home.  That there is a sense of sacrifice no matter what way we women choose to go; stay home or work outside the home.  So in essence, we women should be doing both, or able to do both.

I don't keep a lot of friendships.  Not that I trash the ones I have, but I am often NOT reciprocal in my friendships.  I often wonder if this is because I am so busy working FT out of the home and working FT in the home.  Now remember, in this post I describe my husband, so this is NOT a bash on his efforts in the home.  I am more saying that I would prefer to handle all of the domestic stuff and allow him other freedoms as these are tasks that I should be doing as the wife and mother. But....that is a big BUT...I often feel like if I add anything else to my plate I might actually crack up under the pressure and have a nervous breakdown. This is the reason why I am often not reciprocal in my friendships.  This is what I believe I sacrifice in order to manage my roles as wife, mother, and FT worker outside the home.

Ok...so lets get your thoughts: 
Do you subscribe to a conservative and traditional view of a woman's role? 
If you do subscribe to a conservative and traditional view of a woman's role, have you always or is this new for you?
Do you find yourself struggling with this type of role and how so?
As fellow woman, what can we do for each other to lift us up is what ever roles we choose to hold in our families?

No comments:

Post a Comment