Thursday, November 10, 2011

Goal #1(Not supposed to be a PCOS Blog)

In my last post I wrote about the goals that I have for myself.  The first goal that I shared is that I would like to lose weight.  I mentioned that I have this pesky disorder called PCOS.  Now I could do a whole blog about PCOS, but that is for another day.  The main point about this for now if that the PCOS makes it much more difficult for my to lose weight. 

My doctor, whom I think is fantastic, wants me to take prescription medications to "control" the symptoms of PCOS.  Medications like Metformin to make my insulin more effective, Levothyroxin to stimulate proper function of my thyroid, and birth control bills to regulate my period.  None of these medications cure PCOS, they just make the "cogs" of my endocrine system work together better.  The problem is, when you take one medication for one thing, you most likely will have to take another medication for another thing and the cycle continues.  Metformin's side effects are horrendous, to put it lightly.  I do not know anyone who would want to take a medication that makes them do what this med does.  The Thyroid medication does not seem to have many side effects that I can tell.  I just usually experience hot flashes, which could really just be the PCOS.  The birth control side effects are often unknown.  I have been reading that the pill has been linked to breast cancer.  AND I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT FOR YEARS!  Not to mention, the moment I stop taking the pill all of my symptoms come right back. 

I have known that I have PCOS since I have been 18 years old.  My weight was not an issue back then, but has my body changed and I wanted to have a baby, I began reading books and articles online about "curing" PCOS.  It all comes down to one thing-LOSE WEIGHT.  So where does that leave me?  For years I have limited/minimized my fast food intake, measured my food, limited my grain or simple carbohydrate intake, and for two years I was caffeine and soda free.  I may not go to a gym, but I do walk and stay pretty active.  All to no weight loss.  Talk about insanity!  Wasn't it Einstein who said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?" So I ask again, where does that leave me in dealing with my issues.  Weight loss is the obvious start, but what can I do differently to enhance any results, or even get results?

Well, this wasn't supposed to be about PCOS, but in the end I feel that my PCOS is the home plate of my issues, fears, concerns, and emotions!  Next time, I promise to be less rambly...

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment